Monday, September 22, 2014

IBS Proverbs 23:17-18 (9-21-14)

Inductive Bible Study for Proverbs 23:17-18 (9-21-14)
“Do not let your heart envy sinners, but be zealous for the fear of the Lord all the day;for surely there is a hereafter, and your hope will not be cut off.”

I came across this passage during one of my morning devotions recently. It immediately reminded me of all the times I’ve been jealous of people in the world - wishing I could go to parties, be a flirt and wear less clothing. Looking back, I am so thankful that my parents didn’t allow me to do those things. I’ve been humbled by the fact that if I had the choice before, I would definitely have done those things (and more). The only reason I didn’t get into more trouble growing up was that my parents were relatively strict in the world’s eyes. In my early-mid teen years, I imagined all the things I would do when I didn’t have to obey my parents anymore. I may have no been that rebellious on the outside, but I planned and plotted a lot in my heart.

So instead of envying sinners and the supposed “freedom” they have, as believers we should be zealous for the fear of the Lord. This means to be passionate, eager, devoted and intensely enthusiastic. The reason for this insane diligence? This verse says that is surely a hereafter. There is more to this world than the plans I have for my life? Not only is God’s plan for my life better than I could ever imagine, that’s also Heaven to look forward to - a place of glory, splendor and bliss. Our hope will not be cut off. God promises us that if we follow Him, He will never leave us nor forsake us. God is faithful, He keeps His promises and He don’t dash our hopes!


These verses are a really good reminder that my devotion to Jesus is not in vain. There will be a reward for living my life for Christ- in the now and in the hereafter. When it seems like the whole world is against me, I can know for certain that God is on my side. I’m going to write “Your love is better than life” on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment