Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IBS Isaiah 43:1b-2 (10-19-14)


Inductive Bible Study on Isaiah 43:1b-2 (10-19-14)
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you."

I'm reading in Isaiah for my devotions and I came across this verse. I was encouraged and comforted. God is speaking to His people here - telling them to not be afraid because He will be with them no matter what they're going through. I love the illustration of going through water and fire - He promises that the water won't overflow them and that the fire won't burn them. My question about this verse is "How do they know for sure that God will protect His people?". The answer is right there - they belong to God and He has redeemed them.

What does the word redeem mean? The definition is to buy back or purchase. God has paid for us and we now are His. How incredible is that? I'm just sitting here, wondering how much it took for God to pay for us. I know that He accomplished that by pouring out His wrath on His Son, but I don't think I'll fully grasp that until Heaven, when I can feel the scars in His hands and side. 1 Corinthians 6:20 says "For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." Jesus knew the cost of redeeming those He loved and He asked if there was any other way. If Jesus was scared of the torture and death to come, we can be assured that it was an incredibly costly purchase.

Just because we belong to God doesn't mean trials won't come. This verse clearly says that water and fire WILL come, but that God will be with us every step of the way. I'm reminded of Joshua 1:9 - "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for The Lord your God is with you wherever you go." My class and I memorized this verse during a Kid's Club in Kenya and it's stuck with me since. I don't want to forget that my life was bought at a price and really doesn't belong to me. I'm going to write "I have redeemed you, you are Mine" on my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment