Monday, May 12, 2014

IBS Psalm 1:1-2 (5-12-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Psalm 1:1-2 (5-12-14) 
"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of The Lord, and in His Law he meditates day and night."

The first thing I notice about verse one is the progression of intimacy with unbelievers - walks, stands, sits. Sin has a way of making us think it's innocent, so we pursue it. Then before we know it, we look back at where we used to be and where we are now - and wonder how we got so ensnared. Sin is pleasurable for a season, but it always has a cost. The consequences may not show themselves until Judgement Day, or they may come to light at any point during a lifetime. Walking in ungodly counsel is not the same thing as telling an unbeliever about your problems and them giving advice - this verse is talking about actually following through with unsound advice they give. 

Standing in the path of sinners sounds to me as if a sinner is making bad choices and a believer is trying desperately to prevent them from sinning. Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ, our Lord." Rebuking a sinner for sinning when they either don't know or don't care does nothing in light of eternity - it's changed their outward behavior but did nothing to change their heart.

Sitting in the seat of the scornful is being in close fellowship with a nonbeliever. I take this to also mean being subjected to a bad influence. It's hard enough to not let a bad influence get to you when you're going to church, reading the Bible and praying - how much harder is it to not be swayed when you're trying to stay strong with your own will? That's why the next verses say that the man who's delight is in the Law of the Lord is blessed. 

What does blessed mean? I used to think that blessed meant rich, attractive, smart, happy and having an easy life. Jesus never promised us that we would have an easy life - in fact, in Matthew 5:11, Jesus says "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you". Not IF but WHEN. He also promised in Hebrews 13:5 that "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So blessed means we'll be joyful, have peace that passes understanding, and that He will never leave us even when we feel hopeless. 

It's not enough to not be intimate with nonbelievers - we need to be intimate with our Savior. How do we become intimate with God? I used to think that God was some far-off being, Who didn't care about me or my problems. It's actually the opposite. God's thoughts toward us are more than the sand on the seashore and His ear is right next to our mouth - just waiting for us to speak to Him. We learn about Him and see His Will for our lives by reading His Word - and from Psalm 1, we will be blessed when we do this. We also see in Psalm 119:11 another reason for reading the Word -  "Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You."

He gave His life for us, why would we not want to give our lives to Him? I desire to honor and obey God, and I trust that He will take care of me because He has a perfect plan for my life. What is the big deal about the Bible? Hebrews 4:12 says "But the Word of the Lord is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." God esteems His Word above His Name - it applies to our lives today and the Holy Spirit uses it to convict and comfort us.

I want to honor God, I want to walk in His counsel and I want to delight in His Law. I read several chapters in the Bible every day, but sometimes I'm in a rush, so I read it without seeking what He wants to speak to me through it. I am going to make sure I am having an actual conversation with God while I read so I am open to the Spirit's leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment