Monday, May 5, 2014

IBS Luke 5:31-32 (5-4-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Luke 5:31-32 (5-4-14)
“Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

The scribes and Pharisees asked the disciples why Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. I find it comical that instead of the disciples replying, Jesus instead answers them. He told them that He came to call the sinners to repentance and to heal the sick. I love how Jesus defies all the cultural expectations - He rebuked the self-righteous Pharisees. He associated Himself with the most hated people in society - the prostitutes, tax collectors and sinners. His love surpassed caring about how people looked, smelled or carried themselves. He had compassion on the sick and healed them - He TOUCHED lepers. 

These Pharisees and scribes felt no need for a Savior - they believed themselves to be better than everyone else. In the context of the Law, they actually were better than everyone. Jesus challenged them to look at their inward appearance rather than their outward appearance. Matthew 15:11 says “Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” Jesus said that if someone hated someone, they commit murder - and if someone lusts after someone, they commit adultery. Jesus made sin about the heart, not about actions.

Only when a person sees their sin for what it really is and sees God for Who He really is, can they cry out to Him to save them. It is when a person is at their lowest that they either harden their heart completely against God or throw themselves on His grace. Every follower of Christ has experienced complete brokenness in order to become a believer. After that, it’s a matter of living in a constant cycle of sin making us prideful then becoming humble before Jesus - or else we are just living in rebellion whilst being saved. 

I know for a fact that I’ve been justified, but am I allowing God to sanctify me? I know that the process of sanctification takes a lifetime and I want to allow the Holy Spirit to mold me into a more godly person. Am I priding myself on my abilities, talents and spiritual growth? I know that God has given me gifts, but these are solely given to be used for His glory. When I do things in my own strength or for recognition - not only do I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything, but I have also just forfeited my reward I could have gotten in heaven. When I try my best, I have to take a step back and evaluate my motives. Who am I doing this for? Myself? Other people? Or God? If it’s for anyone else beside my Savior I repent, dedicate my service to Christ, and finish out what I started. 


Do I see myself as righteous because of my own efforts, or do I see my righteousness as a result of Christ’s blood cleansing my sins? During my devotions each morning, I want to ask God to show me any sin I may be harboring and repent of it. I desire to be that sick person - constantly in need of the Lord’s strength - not the self-righteous person - not needing anyone but myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment