Saturday, March 8, 2014

IBS 1 Corinthians 9:19 (3-7-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for 1 Corinthians 9:19 (3-7-14)
“For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;”

Paul goes on to say that he became a Jew as unto the Jews, that he might win Jews; he became under the law, as those under the law; he became without law, as those without law; he become weak, as those who are weak. After that he says “I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the Gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.” We are not under the law - we’re under grace. 

We have freedom in Christ, but shouldn’t use that in a way that would be a stumbling block to a brother. Paul sacrificed his freedom in Christ in order to reach as many people as possible. He became a servant to all men that he might win them to Christ. We win disciples to Christ by our actions, not just by our words. If we are finding something in common then building a bridge, as opposed to shoving the Gospel in their face, we are going to be received as a friend rather than as an enemy. 


How awesome is it that Paul was so devoted to the spreading of the Gospel that he made the choice to lay down his rights as an individual? I sometimes choose to be a servant to those I care about - how much less do I choose to be a servant to those I don’t know, or even to those who hate me? This is really convicting. Jesus says to love our enemies, this includes serving them! I want to have a servant’s heart. I’m going to look for opportunities to serve others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment