Tuesday, March 25, 2014

IBS Matthew 5:16 (3-24-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Matthew 5:16 (3-24-14)
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”

A few verses earlier, Matthew 5:14-15 says “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.” I have been ashamed of my faith a lot in my life. I’ve been scared to tell people about Jesus for fear of what they’ll think of me. I’ve lived a hypocritical life for the sake of enjoying in sin. I’ve acted just like the world in order to not seem like a weird Christian. 

This was not letting my light shine before men - this was hiding my light under a basket. This reminds me of Matthew 10:32-33, which says “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father Who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father Who is in heaven.” This stings my conscience. Jesus was beaten for my transgressions and died the death that I deserve, yet there are times that I’ve flat out refused to tell someone about how much Jesus loves them. 

When we let our light shine before men and are obedient to the Holy Spirit’s prompting, we are glorifying God and spreading His Gospel. After becoming saved, we should be showing fruits of our faith that we’ve placed in Christ. James 2:20 says “...faith without works is dead...” Doing works does not grant us salvation - we’re saved by grace through faith, not of ourselves, it’s the gift of God, not of works, so that no one can boast (Ephesians 2:8-9). Our works should be the result of our relationship with Christ, and then others can see these results and glorify God.

If we’re not letting our light shine, then we’ve already hidden our good works from everyone and thereby have taken away the chance for people to glorify God. I’m going to draw a candle and write this verse (Matthew 5:16) down on a paper, and stick it on the back of the doors in our room to remind me to show Jesus wherever I go and to whoever I see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment