Wednesday, March 19, 2014

IBS 1 Corinthians 9:25 (3-19-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for 1 Corinthians 9:25 (3-19-14)
“And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.”

Everyone knows that in order to get good at something, you need to work at it. Every stinking time I would ask my Mom how come she was good at something - from showing me how to cut paper when I was 4, to showing me how to drive at 15 - she always replied “Practice”. Let me tell you, this was one of the most frustrating things EVER. I am usually a very impatient person, and always hearing that it took time, discipline and effort to get good at stuff made me irritated. Not irritated that my Mom was good at stuff, but that I couldn’t just will to do something and it happen. 

We need to discipline ourselves in order to be under the submission of Christ. Our flesh needs to die every single day in order to have our lives fully surrendered to God. All that I hope to achieve, if it isn’t for the glory of God, is a waste of time. Ecclesiastes basically says that everything in this life is vanity, except a relationship with Christ. We are competing for an imperishable crown - that moth and rust can’t destroy and that thieves cannot steal. My purpose of being put on this earth was to worship and glorify my Maker. He wants me to be complete in Him. Not complete in Him once I have everything my heart desires. I need to be content and joyful with where He’s placed me right now

I opened my Bible randomly and God gave me a verse... That’s the first time it’s happened. 1 Corinthians 2:9 “But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”” God’s plans for us are exceedingly, above and beyond anything we could ever think or imagine. Wow. This has been a head knowledge for me since forever, but it’s beginning to permeate my heart. He’s got the whole world in His hands takes on a new meaning.


God is working everything together for His glory and for our good. We strive to gain heavenly treasures and an eternal crown. Silly humans - why do we go after things that not only displease God, but also harm our walk with our Savior? Beats me. The point is that God gives us a choice because He loves us. I want to choose to honor Him in everything I do. I’ve begun to start each morning off this way - I thank God for all He’s blessed me with and choose to make my bed as an act of service to Him. I want to add to this doing my homework in service to Him. I sometimes pray before doing homework, but I want to make a conscious decision to pray beforehand and do it to the best of my ability, not just enough to get by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment