Saturday, March 8, 2014

IBS Luke 17:10 (3-6-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Luke 17:10 (3-6-14)
“”So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’””

I have only done what was required of me. I don’t think I’ve ever said that in my entire life. Sure, I like to say “Praise God” when someone is giving me praise, but I don’t have the mindset of “I just did what God told me to do”. What is our reasonable act of service, as believers? To love the Lord, our God, with all our heart, soul, mind and strength - to love our neighbor as ourselves and - to proclaim the Gospel to the ends of the earth. 

In doing these things, we are just doing what we get to do. Sometimes people thank and praise us, and sometimes no one notices. Praise is not a bad thing - except if we let it get to our head and develop a big ego. Praise is meant to be an up-lifting act of encouragement that we bestow on one another to build each other up. It becomes sinful when we expect it and get prideful, or we don’t get it and then think we served for nothing. God knows everything that we’ve done, and He will reward us according to the works we’ve done for Him.

Yesterday, I saw that everything I do should be done unto the Lord. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” If I’m doing something because I feel like I have to, God doesn’t want it. Whether that be money, time, food, or other, it should be given with joy. Matthew 10:8 says “Freely you have received, freely give.” God has blessed me with so much, I should want to give to others so they can be blessed also. 


I should be satisfied with the reward that God will give me in heaven, not looking for thanks, praise or glory on this earth. My motivation to serve should solely be because I love Christ. I’m going to memorize 2 Corinthians 9:7 so that I can remember what my motivation should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment