Tuesday, March 25, 2014

IBS for Matthew 5:20 (3-28-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Matthew 5:20 (3-28-14)
“For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.”

The scribes and Pharisees didn’t go to heaven because of their sin, and yet they’re listed here as the standard of how righteous a man could get. Even their very best efforts weren’t enough because they strove to have their own goodness. I see this so often, especially in myself - trying to do things in my own strength instead of relying on God. 

This makes me think of the rich young ruler who wanted to know how to get to heaven. He followed the law perfectly, but Jesus told him to sell everything he had and follow Him. He went away sad and unrepentant. This kind of righteousness is like that of the scribes and Pharisees. It’s only on the outside - it’s not a heart change. 

A lot of people are so close to being saved, yet their knowledge is only in their minds and not in their hearts. Even now, I know a lot of things yet I don’t carry them out. This is knowledge compared to wisdom. Knowing stuff as opposed to knowing how to use understanding and actually doing what I know to be right and best in God’s eyes. 

When we do things with our power and education, we get the glory. When we do things with faith that God will guide and direct us, He gets the glory because we had no way of doing those things on our own. I am blown away by all the experiences I’ve heard about believers who allowed God to work through them - they were just a willing vessel and He provided supplies, wisdom and so much more to them.


I know that there’s nothing good that could come from my heart. I know my own strength, power and righteousness is worthless. I want to be clothed in Christ’s righteousness. I want to be used by Him to give Himself glory. I just want to be a willing vessel. Philippians 3:9 says “...be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith...”. I’m going to write this verse on the paper hanging on the door to our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment