Wednesday, March 12, 2014

IBS Philippians 3:10 (3-12-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 3:10 (3-12-14)
“that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,”

“that I may know Him” Do I desire to know my Savior? I think of the believers in countries where the Bible is illegal - they have a hunger for the Word that I have never experienced. I have several Bibles, and although I read it every day, I don’t spend hours studying it. I pray every day, but usually it’s thanking God for what He’s blessed me with, and asking for virtues, wisdom, direction, or concerning worldly things. I don’t pray with the expectation that God will answer me. 

Just yesterday, when Pastor Donathen asked us to give our testimonies, I knew God was answering a lot of our prayers. I don’t remember having the Lord give an answer in such a blatant way - I’ve been praying for unity and for the walls between everyone to be broken down, and He brings Pastor D here to have us open up to one another. I realize now that I’ve never really prayed for things that God wanted me to pray for, if that makes sense. I’m seeking what God desires, asking Him to give me His desires, and then praying for His Will to come to fruition. 

And now, to bring it back to the verse. Paul knew the power of Christ’s resurrection. Any person could have claimed to be God - and many have. But only Jesus Christ raised Himself from the dead, everyone else is buried somewhere on this earth. This showed that He had the power of God to defeat death. Matthew 28:18 says “... “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”” If God blesses and affirms what someone is doing, we can see that they truly are of Him. If they are liars or lunatics, God won’t bless what they’re doing. Jesus Christ claimed to be God, and the Father continually confirmed this claim by blessing Jesus’ ministry.

Paul knew the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings. Paul endured trials and tribulations that I (selfishly) hope never to experience. It’s one thing to be willing to die or Christ, but it’s quite another to be willing to suffer persecution and torture for Christ. Paul said that his life was solely to bring glory to Christ, and his death would only be gaining heaven. No one could quench Paul’s zeal for his Savior. You couldn’t break him by persecuting him, and he wasn’t rocked by the threat of death.


I want this passion that Paul had to know His Savior, to fellowship in Christ’s sufferings, and to be conformed to Christ’s death. I want to be fully submitted to God, even to the point of death. Jesus asked the Father to take the cup from Him, if there was a way, but He only desired to have His Father’s Will be done. I’m going to write “Thy Will Be Done” on my hand to remind me that my ultimate goal in life is to live for my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment