Wednesday, March 12, 2014

IBS Philippians 3:9 (3-11-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 3:9 (3-11-14)
“and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;”

Paul said he wanted to be found in Christ - where do I find my worth and identity? When I die, what do I want to be remembered for? I recall an interview that someone conducted with Pastor Chuck Smith and the person asked Pastor Chuck what he wanted to be remembered for, he basically said that he wanted to be thought of as a man who loved Christ. 

Paul said he didn’t want his own righteousness found in the law - he was the Jew of Jews, he kept every law, yet he still wasn’t righteous in the eyes of God. How often do I find pride in my “accomplishments” or works? I admit that I am shocked at times of what people are capable of, but then realize that I am capable of anything. I cannot ever think myself righteous because of something I did - I need to give all glory to Christ and His work in me. 

Paul wanted his righteousness to be from God through his faith in Christ. He knew that the righteousness that he had pursued as a Jew was not what God required. Matthew 9:13 says “”But go and learn what this means, “I desire mercy and not sacrifice.” For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”” Jesus didn’t come to save those who are righteous in their own eyes, but those who knew they are in need of a Savior. 

I relate this to the approach I take when giving someone the Gospel. I always start off with asking them if they know that they’ve sinned against God - if they’ve lied, stolen, hated someone, lusted, etc. I most certainly would not see the need to go see a doctor unless I knew that I was sick. I am so thankful that I can’t earn grace - that I am in no way deserving of Christ’s love. 


I want my identity to be found in Christ and I want to rely on His righteousness. I’m going to write “Identity” and “Righteousness” on both wrists and a cross on both palms to remember what my life is about and where my worth comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment