Wednesday, March 19, 2014

IBS 1 Corinthians 9:24 (3-18-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for 1 Corinthians 9:24 (3-18-14)
“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.”

Why are we running this race? What’s the goal? Heaven. A life fulfilled in Christ. A person can go through all their life just living for themselves and still being saved. It’s a different thing completely to have someone be saved and also have their will under the submission of Christ. We are to follow hard after Christ, walk worthy of the Gospel we preach and run towards the goal that we may gain treasures in heaven.

Our reason for serving is to bring glory to God, not to bring attention to ourselves. Those who run are racing. Am I running, or am I walking? What am I doing with all the knowledge that’s being poured into me? I pray that I’m not taking any of this for granted, that I’ll be able to use what I’ve gained here for the rest of my life. Being here has spurred me on to do everything for Jesus and I hope it never wears off. Everything else in this life results in emptiness and heart ache. 

I want to have my treasures be in heaven, not on this earth. Any fame, popularity, or riches I gain will disappear when I stand before God. He will look through my works, and whatever I did for selfish ambition will burn up. Again, am I running? Am I taking this opportunity to serve Christ with all of my heart? My Mom always told me that I had a huge advantage - I’m a second generation Christian and I was able to hit the ground running.

I want to have Jesus as my focus, have a transparent relationship with my Maker, have an open, loving heart towards my brothers and sisters in Christ, and be a godly example for those around me who aren’t saved. The only way to do this is to be a willing vessel for God to use. I love the analogy given by Andrew Murray about water seeking and filling only the low places. God can only fill me with Himself when I’m empty of myself. 


I’m going to draw a vessel on my arm with black “sin” being cleansed out, and red “holy fire” flowing in. I want to remember that I was justified at the Cross, but in the process of being sanctified every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment