Wednesday, March 5, 2014

IBS Luke 17:9 (3-5-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Luke 17:9 (3-5-14)
“”Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.””

In this verse, we are asked if the master thanked the servant for doing the things commanded of him. Jesus says “I think not”. The master told the servant to do something, so it wouldn’t make sense to thank him for the thing he was commanded to do. I remember from a young age having my parents tell me that I shouldn’t expect a “thank you” for doing stuff that I knew I was supposed to do. Thanks to them, instead of expecting a thank you and being disappointed when I don’t get one, I don’t expect one and am surprised when I receive one. 

Why do I serve? Am I serving to get people’s attention? I may not expect a “thank you”, but I still expect people to notice. There have been a lot of times that I’ve told people about something I did for God, and thereby got my reward when they praised me. Matthew 6:2-4 tells us about the different ways in which charitable deeds are carried out - the hypocrites parade their deeds for all to see and get their reward from those who give glory to them, whereas we should do our charitable deeds in secret so that only God sees them and He will reward us. 

This comes to a question of my heart. Is my motivation for serving to have people praise me? Or is it to bring glory to God? I usually don’t go into a task with the mindset that it’s for Christ - but usually halfway or most of the way through, I realize that I’m doing it either because I have to or because I want someone to praise me. I then have to take a moment and get my heart right before God. I thank Him that He gave me the ability to do the job and tell Him that I’m doing it because I love Him. 


I want to remember that everything I do is for Christ - not because I loved Him but because He loved me first. I’m going to write “How He loves” on my wrist so every time I see it I can thank Him for the life He’s given me, and live it for Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment