Saturday, March 15, 2014

IBS Philippians 3:11 (3-13-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 3:11 (3-13-14)
“if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.”

Paul goes on to say that he hasn’t attained the resurrection from the dead, or been perfected yet. I know from the context that Paul isn’t talking about a literal resurrection for himself. He is pertaining to new life, spiritually. Romans 6:5-6 says “For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.”

As believers, we are free from sin and have the choice to not be enslaved by it. Our new Master is Jesus, Who’s yoke is easy and Who’s burden is light. Our sinful nature was crucified with Him on that cross - we are not under the Law anymore, but under grace. Should we sin so that grace may abound? Never. But when we fall into sin, we are not under condemnation - we are to repent, get up and keep following Christ.

Mark 8:34 says “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.” The denial of self and taking up of our cross is a daily choice. We’ve already repented, yet our flesh doesn’t just disappear. In fact, the closer we grow to Christ, the more we see how sinful our flesh is. Paul says in 1 Timothy 1:15 “This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.”

Before Paul was saved, he martyred followers of Christ. After his radical transformation, he had an unstoppable zeal for sharing the Gospel - he didn’t care if people tortured him because he gladly suffered to bring glory to his Savior, and he didn’t care if people killed him because he would go to heaven. Paul called himself the chief of sinners. He knew that he was no better than anyone else, and he looked forward to being perfected in Christ.


Am I living with the expectation of being perfected? Am I living like I have a choice to deny my flesh? Why am I living for the now instead of living with my eyes fixed on Christ? I want to remember that my flesh has been crucified with Christ - I am a new creation and am no longer under the bondage of sin. I’m going to draw a Cross on my arm, the word “Flesh” under it with a line through it, and the word “Life” written over the Cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment