Saturday, March 15, 2014

IBS Philippians 3:12-13 (3-14-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 3:12-13 (3-14-14)
“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.”

Paul said he pressed on - he wasn’t discouraged by his flesh or the world, he focused on the goal and ran towards it with perseverance. We have been justified by Christ’s atoning Blood, but, until the day we die, we are constantly being sanctified. He acknowledged that he hadn’t been perfected yet - his goal was not to be perfect according to the law anymore.

He didn’t consider himself apprehended, or found guilty - instead, he chose to forget the things in the past and reaching forward towards the future. We should follow his example by instead of holding onto our past, we lay everything down at the foot of the Cross. I keep giving God most of my heart and still holding back some. I keep putting those chains back on, even though Christ freed me from them.

Just last night, we were singing “I’ll stand, my soul Lord to You surrendered, all I am is Yours”. Is this real in our hearts? Is this just something I said in the emotion of the moment? Or will this be a conscious choice to surrender everything I am to my Savior? Do I have faith that He is in control? I know that He will work everything out in His perfect timing, I just have doubt and lack of trust.

He’s never broken any of His promises, He’s never failed anyone, ever. He won’t start now. Anything we go through in this life has a purpose. It may not seem like it to me right now that God will bring forth glory for Himself from the situation happening in my house, but He works all things together for good. I need to keep this close to my heart so that I stop doubting God’s goodness. 


I have the paper that says to worship God and ask for an out-pouring of the Holy Spirit taped to the inside of my wardrobe. I’m going to write Hebrews 10:23 on this paper to remember God’s faithfulness. It says “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He Who promised is faithful.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment