Wednesday, March 19, 2014

IBS 1 Corinthians 9:26 (3-20-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for 1 Corinthians 9:26 (3-20-14)
“Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.”

Paul ran the race without a doubt in his mind. He knew for certain Who he was running for - God - and why he was running - to serve his Savior. This reminds me of 2 Peter 1:10, which says “...be even more diligent to make your call and election sure...”. After becoming saved, we should have a defense for our faith. We need to be confident in what we believe and why - not uncertain and hesitant.

Paul said that he’s not fighting nothing, or for nothing. The fight is very real and not to be taken lightly. We are constantly fighting to kill our flesh and withstand the attacks of the enemy. Ephesians 6:12-13 says “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor for God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day and having done all, to stand.” 

Satan’s goal for every human being is to have them go to hell. Once someone is saved by Christ’s Blood, his goal is to make them useless and keep them from causing anyone else to be saved. We are to take up the whole armor of God so that we can stand up in Christ against Satan and our flesh. We need to be on constant alert for temptation so we can combat it with the Word. 


Running and fighting are not inactive verbs - they require work and exertion. Salvation is not fought for or earned, however, we should be striving to love God and share His love with others. I need to remember that I’m in a race, I’m contending for the faith, and I’m fighting against Satan and my flesh. I’m going to write “Run” and “Fight” on my wrists to help me stop being passive and doing business as usual, and instead to be diligent and on fire for my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment