Monday, February 10, 2014

IBS 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (2/10/14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (2-10-2014)
“Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.”

The verses that come before this one are saying to stay away from those people who are obsessed with fighting and arguments over words. The reason these people are the way they are is because they are full of envy, strife, reviling, and evil suspicions. They have corrupt minds that have no truth in them, and they falsely think that godliness is a means of gain. 

The verses that come after this one are continuing along the same lines as the ones previous - the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. The people who’s goal in life is to be rich will fall into all kinds of temptations, snares and lusts. Verse 10 tells us that some believers have even strayed from the faith because of their lust for money and wealth. This doesn’t mean that they’re no longer saved - it just says that they pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 

I relate that last part about being pierced with sorrows to the fact that believers have been freed from the chains of sin by Christ’s blood, yet choose to put those chains back on. This is a vivid picture of what my life has been in the past. I was cleansed with Christ’s blood, yet I was walking in sin. I seared my conscience by not giving up those fleeting lusts, and I couldn’t fully live for Christ until I denied myself, picked up my cross and truly followed Him.

Our verse for today really speaks to my heart - godliness with contentment is great gain. Am I content with what I have? It seems like it, until I see something that someone else has and I want it. Do I find my greatest treasure in the fact that my Savior loves me and died for me so that I can have a relationship with Him? I want to be grateful for what I have, I want to thank God for the blessings He’s bestowed upon me, and I want to lay aside my desires for earthly treasures.

1 John 2:17 says “And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.” Sin is pleasurable for a season - and I’m not saying that having money or possessions is a sin - but if I love my stuff more than I love God, it’s definitely an idol in my heart. No matter what I gain in this life, if it’s not for the glory of God, it’s all for nothing.


I want to find my joy in Christ. I want to be content with what I have, where I am and who I’m around. I am going to memorize 1 John 2:17 so that I can have the right perspective on where my treasure should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment