Wednesday, February 26, 2014

IBS Philippians 2:5-6 (2-26-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 2:5-6 (2-26-14)
“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,”

This mind refers to a mind of putting others first. Jesus Christ was clothed in human form but was still fully God. He claimed to be equal with God and therefore saw Himself as having the same authority and power. God is omniscient - all knowing, omnipotent - all powerful, omnipresent - everywhere at all times, and perfect. Jesus said that He was all these things, and proved it by His miracles and raising from the dead. 

Having all authority and power, He chose to humble Himself to the level of a servant. Before He was betrayed, He washed all the disciples feet - even the feet of Judas. He stepped down from heaven to wash dirty feet, be beaten for our transgressions, and die a criminal’s death. John 1:12 says “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His Name...”

He did all of this so that we could become His children - so that we could have a right relationship with Him and not be separated from Him for all eternity. His focus was to do the Will of the Father. He didn’t question the Father, He didn’t complain to the Father, He didn’t whine to the Father and say that it wasn’t fair that He had to die when He was innocent. In the Garden of Gethsemane, He pleaded with God to take away the cup (Luke 22:42), but said “nevertheless not My Will, but Yours, be done.” 


How often do we make plans or even do things without asking God what He wants, and then ask Him to bless it? This is really convicting for me because I do that a LOT. I don’t really think about what God wants for me, I only care about what I want. I’m so wrapped up in myself that I don’t care what God says, but I also don’t care about other people’s needs. I’m going to write JOY on my wrist to remind me that the order of caring needs to be - Jesus, Others, You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment