Monday, February 10, 2014

IBS James 1:5 (1/31/14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for James 1:5 (1-31-2014)
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”

This week I’ve: seen the differences between godly wisdom and worldly wisdom, thought about how little time we have left on this earth, been awed that all we have to do to gain wisdom and understanding is fear the Lord and obey His commandments, and learned about the ways in which we apply wisdom. Now this verse is giving direction to those who lack wisdom. 

After seeing all these things in Scripture, I am so grateful that God isn’t like “I’ve given you everything you need in order to discern between the different wisdoms, realize that there’s not much time left to serve Me, gain wisdom and apply it - and you still don’t get it?!” Instead, He is full of grace, mercy and understanding. He offers wisdom to those who just ask

So often, at least in my case, I think that wisdom is some far-off place of enlightenment that I could never attain. This is pride on my part - to think that if I work hard enough and long enough, God will see how worthy I am and will give me wisdom. It doesn’t seem like pride when I’m in the moment though. I relate this to leading people in worship - I get scared out of my mind and think that it’s nothing more than that, but its actually pride welling up in me. 

The key to both of these instances - wanting wisdom and leading God’s people in worship - is to get out of the way and let God work. I have to submit myself to the Authority of Christ, Who says that I am a wicked sinner and can do nothing good apart from Him. Whenever I try to do things in my own strength, I end up flat on my face when I should have stayed down on my knees in the first place. 


My application for this verse to, once again, ask God for His wisdom and understanding tomorrow morning. He says that if I do this, He will give liberally and without reproach. I am so undeserving of His love and grace. Yet He just wants me to come before Him with a humble heart, make my requests known to Him, and He will give me the desires of my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes - I am glad it's as simple as just asking, and God will give wisdom to us liberally and without reproach! I would say yes, we are wicked at our core as fallen humans, BUT, we are also His children, adopted into His family. We have the RIGHT to become children of God….and so, we are now redeemed - precious children that He loves and pursues! Wisdom is such a gift, and if we would search for "her" (as Proverbs personifies), we will be rewarded with this amazing gift!

    ReplyDelete