Wednesday, February 12, 2014

IBS Luke 3:14 (2-11-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Luke 3:14 (2-11-2014)
“Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?” So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.””

The verses preceding this one tell of John the Baptist and how multitudes of people came to be baptized by him. He told them to bear fruits worthy of repentance. He saw that they took comfort in the fact that they were Abraham’s descendants and rebuked them, saying that God could make children of Abraham from stones. God doesn’t have grand-children, regardless of the fact that they were Jews - they were either a child of God or not. 

John emphasized that every tree that didn’t bear good fruit would be cut down and thrown into the fire. This is not to say that we must bear good fruit in order to be saved - rather, our lives should bear evidence that we have been rescued from our sin by Christ. The people then asked John what they should do. He told them to share what they have with those who have nothing. 

A few specific people asked John what they should do to avoid being “cut down and cast into the fire”. To the tax collectors, he said to not collect more money than was owed to them. Tax collectors were known for taking a lot more than was owed to them, and John told them to be honest when it would have been so easy and common for them to manipulate and be dishonest.

To the soldiers, he said to not intimidate anyone, to not accuse falsely, and to be content with their wages. Soldiers had power over the people and it was common for them to intimidate the people into giving them money, food or goods. The soldiers could easily falsely accuse people in order to have things work out in their favor - like blackmail, extortion, etc. John told them to be content with their wages, and like those soldiers, I also sometimes think that I deserve more than I have or am given. 

I was reminded of the verse that talks about the workers that came at different times of the day, yet all got paid the same wage. The ones who had worked longer were upset that they didn’t get more than the ones who only worked for a few hours. I need to be content with the gifts, blessings and possessions I have been given by God. He determines who gets what, not me. He doesn’t play favorites, so why would I be discontent with anything I have or anything that happens to me?

Somehow, every heart issue God convicts me about comes down to pride. I get prideful in the gifts God has blessed me with, and then think I deserve better this or more of that. Contentment for me is simply putting aside my pride and being thankful for what I have. I am going to write “contentment” on my arm today to remind me that “every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes from the Father of lights” (James 1:17) and that these things, gifts and blessings are only for the purpose of giving glory to Jesus Christ, Himself - not to glorify me or even to bless others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment