Monday, February 10, 2014

IBS Hebrews 6:12 (2/7/14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Hebrews 6:12 (2-7-2014)
“that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.”

“For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. And we desire that each on of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” Hebrews 6:10-12

God does not turn a blind eye to anything we do. He sees the things we do in the flesh to please ourselves, and He also sees the things we do in the spirit to please Him. We do not labor in vain when we work and minister to the saints. I sometimes catch myself thinking “Why am I even doing this?” 

It’s extremely comforting to know that God knows and cares about everything I’m doing. It sounds really elementary and that I should know this already, but its really come alive to me that I can do everything for Jesus. Obviously, this is not going to happen a lot of the time, but its an awesome reminder that I can take something like mopping the floor and have the same joy as when I’m singing during worship because it’s all for the glory of God. 

Colossians 3:23-24 says “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.” We should show diligence until the end with full assurance of hope. The end is death. Sluggishness is the fruit of not being diligent in our faith. I don’t want to be sluggish - I want to be on fire for Christ. 

We are to imitate those who inherit the promises through faith and patience. The biggest promise we have is salvation, everything else after that is a bonus. The only way to have salvation is by God’s grace through faith in Christ. The inheritance and promises that come after are a result of faith and patience. I lack in patience and faith, and every other fruit of the spirit, but especially those two.


My application is that I am going to ask the Lord for patience and faith. I realize that I shouldn’t ask for virtues unless I really want them, because God will work on those areas of my life. Its not going to be fun, but I desire to follow hard after Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment