Wednesday, February 26, 2014

IBS Philippians 2:3 (2-24-14)

Inductive Bible Study for Philippians 2:3 (2-24-14)
“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.”

We had a great example of how to do this in the team-building activity where we had to all stand on the board. If we acted in selfish ambition or conceit, one or more people would fall off and there would be bad consequences - staying frozen for a time. If we acted in lowliness of mind and esteemed others better than ourselves, we moved fluidly and had good consequences - we did things faster and more efficient than the guys.

The root of all of this sinfulness is pride. Pride says “I’m better than everyone here, I deserve better, and I’m going to do whatever it takes to get it”. In order to give preference to one another, we need to have our will submitted to Christ. JOY - Jesus, Others, You. God commands us to love Him with all we are, and to love each other as we love ourself. Can you imagine what the world would be like if we lived this out daily?

When we put Christ first and give preference to one another, we are humble and caring. We all know that loving God with all our being and loving our neighbor as ourself is impossible. There will always be times (and personally, for me it is more often than not) when our flesh gives no thought to God or others, and makes a beeline for our desires. 

Mark 8:23 comes to mind “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.” Denying self is probably the hardest thing to do on this planet. Even when we don’t follow through with our actions on the outside, there’s always inner turmoil going on and our thoughts are going everywhere. 

I really love Romans 13:14 “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh to fulfill it’s lusts.” Make no provision - if you’re seeing how far you can get to the edge without actually falling off the cliff, it’s time for a heart evaluation. I should be running away from that precipice instead of tip-toeing on the part where it’s crumbling.


From the start - our mindset should be that we are wretched sinners and are capable of any sin. The only reason we are saved is because Christ’s blood cleansed us, and there was nothing we did to earn it. I want to put aside my pride, selfishness and conceit - I want to be lowly in mind, giving preference to others and esteeming others better than myself. I’m going to memorize Romans 13:14 so that I will keep in mind to put away my flesh and live for Christ by serving Him and those around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment