Thursday, February 20, 2014

IBS Romans 6:16 (2-19-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Romans 6:16 (2-19-14)
“Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?”

Every single person who has ever lived is a slave to something or someone. Whether that be to sin or to Christ, you simply can’t get away from serving. When people choose to serve sin, it leads them to death. When people choose to serve God in obedience, He leads them to righteousness. 

Before I believed on Christ, I had the false perception that once I was grown up, I could do whatever I wanted, live however I wanted, and do anything whenever I wanted. I had all these hopes and dreams that I thought I could make come true simply because I willed them to happen. I see now that I was really wrong. In and of myself, I can not make anything good happen. 

The only thing that comes from my heart is evil, continually. I was deceived in thinking that I could have a good life without Christ. I knew that He was holding His arms out to me, but I was afraid I wouldn’t have fun if I repented of my sin. Sin is fun for a season but there are always consequences. Romans 6:23 says “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.”

What I get from sinning is remorse, heartbreak, sadness and brokenness. It awes and humbles me to know that Jesus died on that cross and bore all my sins. He sees every single sin everyone has ever committed, yet still offers each and every human being eternal life. Romans 2:4 says “...the goodness of God leads you to repentance...” His kindness is what draws us near to Him - we hated Him and He still loves us.

I’m only at this point today because Jesus Christ changed my heart. I now worship and serve Him, and He is leading me to righteousness. I presented myself as a slave to obey God. I willingly gave up possession of my life and placed it in His more-than-capable hands. 


I am going to write slave on my hand to remind me that I need to do all things to glorify Christ rather than myself or others. I want to remember that I made the choice to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him, and I want to live that out. 

1 comment:

  1. Love reading this. This is the reason my online id is doulos668. A combination of one who chose to be a slave to Jesus and John 6:68...where else can we go? So excited for you down there...looking forward to seeing you, we all miss you!

    ReplyDelete