Saturday, February 15, 2014

IBS Psalm 17:15 (2-14-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Psalm 17:15 (2-14-2014)
“As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.”

In this Psalm, David asked God to deliver him from the hand of the wicked. His heart had been tested by God and the Lord found no transgressions or deceit. David knew that God would hear his pleas for help because God is full of lovingkindness and saves those who trust in Him. He said that his enemies surrounded him and lied in wait for his life.

David requested that God deliver him from the men of the world who had their portion in life on earth. These men worked all their lives and ended up leaving their treasures to their children because they didn’t have any treasures stored in Heaven. David then goes on to say that he will see God’s face in righteousness. He will be satisfied when he awakes in Christ’s likeness.

Psalm 116:1-2 says “I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.” God’s ear is inclined to our mouth, waiting for us to call upon Him. He’s not in some far-off place that we can never reach - He’s literally one prayer away. The hardest part of calling on God is laying aside our pride and admitting that our best isn’t anywhere near good enough.

Those men who had their treasures stored up on earth were wicked and lied in wait for David’s life. They wanted to make a name for themselves on earth because they had nothing else to live for - they chose to not call on God’s Name. They made the decision to worship the creation rather than the Creator. As believers, our worship should all go to Christ - yet so many times in my own life, I’ve worshipped people, objects and my hopes for the future. 

David said that he would be satisfied when he saw God’s face and awoke in His likeness. Christ should be my satisfaction and I should be looking towards the day that He will transform me to perfection. Anything this world has to offer me will only become a failed attempt to fill the God-shaped vacuum in my heart, if I choose to chase anything other than Christ. 

My goal in life should be to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and to love my neighbor as myself. I shouldn’t strive after fleshly wisdom, possessions or relationships because they will only lead me away from Christ. I should be content in knowing that God is all-knowing and has the perfect plan for my life. 


I should keep my mind focused on the things of heaven and to not be satisfied with any worldly thing, but be satisfied only after being perfected in Christ’s likeness. My application is to draw the world on one wrist and the cross on another wrist, to remind me where my focus, contentment and worship should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment