Wednesday, February 26, 2014

IBS Ephesians 6:1 & Colossians 3:20 (2-20-14)

Inductive Bible Study for Ephesians 6:1 and Colossians 3:20 (2-20-14)
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”
“Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.”

Ouch. These verses are very convicting for me. There have been SO many times that I’ve been disobedient to my parents - whether in action, word or thought. The way we did things in my house was as follows - my parents would sit us down and have us explain to them what we did wrong, then they would tell us that we needed to accept the result of our actions and get consequences. 

Proverbs 22:6 says “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” My parents basically did that and yet, in a sense, I departed from that way in which they brought me up. By the grace of God, I’m following Christ, but that’s just me - I’ve got 3 younger sisters. They could deviate from following Jesus and my parents could do nothing about it.

Psalm 127:3 says “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.” Children are a gift from God and it’s the job of the parents to train the children. Of course, no one is perfect, so parents are always going to make mistakes. The point of being obedient to parents is not to follow perfect examples, but to be honoring to those that God has placed in authority over you.

In all honesty, I am afraid of my future children making the decision to live for this world instead of living for Christ. I’ve seen so many families that, even though they had amazing godly parents, they chose to reject Christ. I know that the only thing I can do is pray and be a good example, but pride keeps rising up inside me and makes me think that there’s something I can do to change someone’s heart. 


I need to call my parents and thank them for how they’ve raised me and tell them how much I love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment