Saturday, February 8, 2014

IBS James 3:13-17 (1/27/14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for James 3:13-17 (1-27-2014)
“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.”

We are asked the question - Who is wise? Proverbs 3:5-6 says: “ Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” This verse tells us not lean on our own understanding, but to let the Lord lead us. 2 Timothy 3:15 says: “and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” This verse says that Scripture is able to make us wise and bring us to salvation through faith.  

True wisdom from God is shown to be meek - not bitter, envious, or self-seeking like the wisdom that comes from the world and demons. We know that God is not the Author of confusion, so we can see why the fruit of worldly wisdom would be confusion. The fruits of God’s wisdom are peace, gentleness, being willing to yield, merciful, and pure. This kind of wisdom does not show partiality and does not bear hypocrisy. 

It appears to me that the wisdom that comes from God bears a lot of the same fruits as love. Love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not seek its own, thinks no evil, and endures all things. True godly wisdom is shown by actions and words - in love. An action or word may be right and moral, but if its not done in love then there’s no point.

Have I shown wisdom in meekness, gentleness, mercy and love? I come off as harsh sometimes, and I see that its because I don’t share the Truth in love. This is something I need to work on. I think a big part of the reason I am the way I am is because of pride. Pride says “I would never do something like that, so how could you?” and “You should know better, so you don’t get any mercy!”. Who am I to judge someone? All of us are equally sinners, and the only thing that makes believers different from the world is that we have laid aside our pride and humbled ourselves at the Cross.


The world will know us by our love. I am commanded to love everyone, including my enemies. I need to show compassion for people when they talk to me. I need to love everyone as Christ loves them. I want to memorize 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a so that I can always keep in mind what love is and how I should love.

1 comment:

  1. You are so blessed to have understood this concept at your age. I say that because it took many years into my adult life to grasp that truth. It's very freeing to see all men as your equal…..that they are loved by the Father, and Jesus dies for them too. Extending grace, because we've received much grace!

    ReplyDelete