Thursday, February 27, 2014

IBS Philippians 2:8 (2-28-14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Philippians 2:8 (2-28-14)
“And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”

This week, I touched on pride, denial of self, Jesus-Others-You, on being a bondservant, and this IBS is going to be about obedience. These all tie into each other, but they’re each distinct. Jesus laid aside His pride, denied Himself, put God the Father first, took the form of a bondservant, and obeyed to the point of death. 

John 3:16 gives Jesus’ motivation for coming to earth - “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son...” God loved us all so much that He gave up His Son in order to have a relationship with us. Our sins didn’t nail Jesus on the cross - He didn’t have to pay the penalty. We see here in this verse that He died on the cross because He was being obedient to God the Father.

Isaiah 53:10 & 12 say “Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin... Because He poured out His soul unto death... And He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.” The only way to save us was to die a criminal’s death, and He did it out of love and obedience. 

Even though it may not seem like it at times, God knows what I’m going through and His desire for me is to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. To love Him is to obey Him, as well as those He’s placed in authority over me. How often do I disobey authority - if not in action, then in my heart? It’s always a heart issue - every action and word proceeds from my heart. 


My application for yesterday was to write “bondservant” on my hand to remind me that I willingly chose to have God as my Master. I know that He is a good Master - that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I desire to love and obey my Savior, and by default, should want to love and obey those whom He’s placed in authority over me. I’m going to write “submit” on my hand to remember that I need to submit to my elders.

No comments:

Post a Comment