Monday, February 10, 2014

IBS Luke 21:19 (2/4/14)

Inductive Bible Study Method for Luke 21:19 (2-4-2014)
“By your patience possess your souls.”

I looked at the verses in this section previous to this verse, and this is what they were in my own words. You will be persecuted and be brought before rulers for Jesus’ Name’s sake. It will be a testimony for you. Don’t figure out beforehand what you will answer to these kings, Jesus will give you a mouth and wisdom on what to say. By His words through you, the adversaries will not be able to resist or contradict. 

However, because they won’t be able to refute you - they will put some of you to death and all will be hated for Jesus’ Name’s sake. Not a hair on your heads shall be lost. By standing firm you will win and gain your life. Possess your souls by being patient and trusting in God. Take captive your words and let God give you the words to say. Don’t be afraid of being hated or martyred - Jesus has everything in His control and is doing this so that you can be a witness for Him.

Pastor Gary taught us part of Acts 7 today, and the verse he gave us in parting was Joshua 1:9. It says “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” I think this goes perfectly with the study today. 

We are commanded (it’s not a suggestion) by God to be strong and of good courage. We are not to be afraid or dismayed. God is with us wherever we go, no matter what. Even when we are persecuted, brought before kings, hated by all, and even to the point of death - Christ is right there with us. He will give us the words to say, He will comfort us, He is worthy of our trust and praise. 

Jesus needs to be the reason we live, the reason we speak, the reason we have a testimony, and the reason we stand firm on our faith. Jesus needs to be the reason I have breath - and with that breath He’s given, I need to honor and glorify Him through my actions, words and thoughts. 


My application is to keep in mind the verse about taking your thoughts captive - to submit my thoughts, words and actions to Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, a command to be strong and of good courage. I can apply that to my life now….as long as I have faith in Him alone, I can move forward with strength and courage! How awesome.

    ReplyDelete